April 25, 2021
Rotary Club of Smithers & Cycle 16 Trail Society Team up for E-Bike raffle
Murray Miller, an avid cyclist and adventurer who lived and played in Smithers for almost 50 years, passed away last fall. Murray could often be seen with his gang of friends on a Friday afternoon riding down Tatlow Road to Telkwa, where they stopped for refreshments before returning to Smithers, sometimes via the highway and occasionally via Tyee Lake Road. More often, you would see Murray riding from his home on Laidlaw Road into Smithers for morning coffee with the Senators.
Murray’s partner, Ellen Gillis, very kindly donated a men’s large Giant Explore E-bike to Cycle 16 from Murray’s estate.
1st PRIZE: Giant Explore men’s large e-bike (valued at $3200.00)
2nd PRIZE: Painting by Mark Tworrow (valued at $600.00)
3rd PRIZE: Cycling Safety package McBike (valued at $590.00)
4th PRIZE: Cycle 16 Tee-shirt, apron & membership.
Clay tumbler from Aquabactics
1000 tickets at $10.00 each
Draw date: July 1st 2021
You may purchase tickets:
- at McBike
- online at firstname.lastname@example.org
- from one of Cycle 16 Board or Society members
- various weekend locations around town – outside McBike, liquor store, Farmers Market etc
CALL 250 643 4054 IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HELP SELL TICKETS
Ways you can help with fundraising:</align left>
- sell a book of raffle tickets
- donate your bottles at the bottle depot to Cycle 16
- buy a tee shirt
Rotary Club of Smithers has 3 kindness meters where you can donate your spare change.
- Bulkley Valley Wholesale
- donations to the food Bank
- Safeway donations to the food bank
- Canadian Tire donations to Cycle 16
While we wait with fingers crossed to hear if our construction funding grant application is successful,
- finalized ownership of both Right of Ways ( ROW’s ) needed to get up the hill out of Smithers with reasonable grades.
- felled the trees on both ROW’s. These will be removed as soon as the ground is dry enough to get heavy equipment in to load the wood up.
- got our construction drawings to almost 80% completion. These will be ready for viewing and comment shortly.
- almost finished conceptual designs for both a highway overpass and underpass options. These will also soon be released which will give us the information needed to decide which is the better option.
- conceptual design drawings are also being worked on for Phase 2 of the project, from Laidlaw Road to the Highway pull out just across the road from the dump.
- plus so much more!
When we are selling raffle tickets we will have engineered drawings with us and there will be opportunity for us to answer any questions you may have.
We have been having conversations with Meg Roberts who has offered to host the Tour de Croissant events again a few times this summer. It is beginning to look like this fabulous Community builder event may start up in June and you may rest assured we’ll be getting details to you as soon as they are finalized.
I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to the Cycle 16 Board of Directors, Alison Watson, Janet Harris, Sue Harrison, Mary Brise, Dan Boissevain, Allan Cormier, Jeremy Shriber and our project manager from WSP, Allan Kindrat. The effort you, along with past Board members Jill Dunbar & Greg Brown, have put in over the past 6 years is astonishing and is starting to show results.